Monday, September 9, 2013

Mod-ing Up a Traditional Rug in the Dining Room

I have a GIANT red rug.  I found it on Craigslist a while back thinking, "OMG... I have to have that!"  Sound familiar?  The rug really was quite the steal.  I even spotted it's fraternal twin on One King's Lane for $$$$ more than what I emptied my pockets for. You can take a peak the version I scored here.   This all sounds dandy I'm sure, but there is a problem.  It's SOoooo traditional.  Bleck!   Since having this blog, my taste has had a tendency to change.  I think I was in the process of figuring out my style.  This is something that will forever be adapting, as it should.
 

It's All About the Chair

It's easy to style a room in a traditional format unintentionally.  Especially when you grew up in a very traditional style home.  I haven't quite figured out how to describe my taste, but if I were to name it I would say that I am more inclined to gravitate towards a Frenchy Boheme composition than anything.  What the heck is that anyway?

Image: A Cup of Joe
 
I think my best solution to tone down the trAd is to go for a much more modern chair and skimp on the French Country.  I really like how the Eames style chairs above are intermixed into an otherwise country farmhouse setting. 
 
Image:  Unknown
 
Ok, so this rug is not a traditional Persian, BUT the colors are very similar to the colors in my rug (red, blue, gold, navy), and the farmhouse table is nearly an exact replica to mine.  Thus, I am inspired!  My artsy hubs keeps telling me that there is too much white in our space. He's right.  How awesome are these blue Bertoia chairs above!?  If I could only score these on CLs or Goodwill for pennies... my life (or at least my dining room) would be complete!

Image:  House Beautiful
 
Ok, this may look familiar.  It's been floating around the internet for at least a year now, and I may have even featured it on the blog once.  So there is no rug here, but I'm eyeballing the chairs.  What do you think about the industrial look with a traditional rug underneath?  I almost scored these charis on Craigslist, but the seller bailed on me.  Errrr.... we had a time / location, and she sold them to someone else!  I think there needs to be a Craigslist Etiquitte 101 course.
Still bummed.
 
Image:  Overstock
 
They're still priced very reasonably on Overstock, but I was going to get them for 1/2 the cost.   Bigger and better chairs await me I'm sure (I hope).


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...