Monday, January 17, 2011

Curb Alerts Make My Heart Flutter!

Driving about the city today, I salvaged these...


Three to be exact!  I'm thrilled, but I wish I had a fourth.  Might I add, an absolutely horrid reupholstering job, to say very the least.  After pulling away three layers... the neon green one above included...


 And discovering that someone had padded the insides using cloth napkins (!!)...


I quickly discovered a manufacturer label!!  This always excites me!  The label has definitely aged, and most of the "important numbers" have faded away.  However, I was able to make-out that these bad boys were crafted by Tell City Chair Company. 

Photo via Flickr

Here's some information I found on the internet while researching my "trash to treasure" find.

"Since 1865, Tell City Chair Company produced some of the finest hand-crafted furniture in the world. Pieces are highly-valued in the antique community and can be found in the White House. Unfortunately, the economic downturn of the early 2000's resulted in the final closing and demolition of the factory. All that remains today is a suitable memorial that was part of the original factory itself."
~www.waymarking.com~

Tell City Chair Co. still maintains a working website, and I plan on emailing them what information I have to see if I can find out further details about my salvaged treasure.  Although they were making furniture in the 1800s, I'm assuming my chairs are from the late 1960s based on the filigree. 

Regardless, these chairs have great bones! 


With the help and inspiration from Brooke at All Things Thrifty, I think I am going to attempt my very first reupholstering project.  I know, I know... it's just a seat cushion, but you start simple, right?


I also love her glazing!  Just click the image below if you want to know the step-by-step process of achieving this look.


One of my favorite projects of her's and possibly a project I may seek out on my own is the dining room table transformation.  If you haven't figured me out by now, I LOVE color!!

Gorgeous, FUN, Cheerful...
I LOVE IT!!


Don't worry all you antique gurus.  I'm not going to paint the chairs until I hear back from the manufacturer.  I'll keep you posted.

Final Wrap-up

While I was out thrifting today, I discovered another hidden treasure...


Gaffney Fabrics in Germantown!  If I had only known while at Gaffney's that I would later in the day discover curbside treasures.  I would have bounties of textiles in my home now!

For more curbside delights, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...