Sunday, November 10, 2013

An Impromptu Gender Reveal

Posting regularly has definitely been a challenge for me.  Sometimes I don't even know why I try to maintain a blog.  Then I remember that this is a creative outlet for me.  This is a way I am able to express my love for design, art, gardening, and well, life.  I have been thinking about life a lot lately seeing that I am carrying one inside of me.  It's a crazy wild experience, and it's not always an easy one.  The back pain and penguin walk are in full swing!  I will be 26 weeks pregnant on Monday.  




Moving to Atlanta from Philadelphia has been a very challenging experience.  New job.  New home.  New people.  New city.  We will soon add "new baby" to the list.  None-the-less, it is a blessing to be within driving distance to family and a few close friends.  Here's a little snippet on what's been going down at The Tiny Abode.

Gender Reveal

 This party was definitely impromptu!  I wasn't even sure if I was going to do a gender reveal.  It just seemed like a lot of unnecessary work and planning for a tired pregnant woman.  Almost everything you see in the pictures was stuff we had lying around the house or stuffed in moving boxes.  This just goes to show that you can plan a party without spending a lot of dough.  Here's what we did...

With the help of my mother and sister, we were able to make a cute pendant banner out of scrapbook paper and twine.  The fabric on the tables was purchased years ago at Jomar in Philly and was in the hub's box of fabric that he uses for still-life backdrops.  Jomar has a huge selection of fabric at wholesale prices.  I'd recommend it to anyone who is willing to dig.  I purchased the teal Mason jars from a vendor at Phila Flea Markets about 3 years ago for only $2 each.  That's a steal!  I was lucky enough to find the vintage Fiesta Ware at B & R Thrift Store here in Atlanta.  I bought it for myself weeks before the party with intentions on reselling it on Etsy (I'm considering opening an online seller's account... hasn't happened yet).  Throw on some pumpkins and add some florals... BAM!  You are ready for a party!


I am very fortunate to have talented to friends that I can call up on a moments notice.  My childhood neighbor who has her own business, Charlsie's Catering and Cakes, made my cake as a gift!  I was overwhelmed with gratitude.


All of the photos were taken by my very talented friend Ashley, the husband of my college roommate.  If it wasn't for them, I may not have been reunited with Jason back in San Francisco May of 2007. We'll save that story for another day.  

It's A...





GIRL!!!



Sorry Jason.  Better luck next time.



 We took the photo shoot above prior to revealing the gender to our families.  The BIG gender reveal actually happened during the cutting of the cake!



My mother's expression was priceless.  I'm not sure I would want to see her expression if it ended up being a boy.   We would have been happy either way.


 Lastly, I couldn't have pulled off this impromptu party without the help of my family.  We only invited immediate family with the exception of my college roommate.  I swear she's got my blood in her somewhere!  Keeping things simple eliminated the unnecessary stresses when it comes to party planning (in the matter of a moment's notice might I add).  Each person contributed in some form.  Whether it was bringing triangle tuna sandwiches or helping a preggo climb up a table to hang a paper banner.





Thankfully, Blount County is beautiful.  The pictures were taken at Palisades's Park in Oneonta, AL where the party was also held.  It was great for the kids to have a place to play while the adult's mingled.  I had some of my childhood parties here as well, so it made it a bit sentimental. 


Our little one is expected to arrive February 17th 2014.  Let's hope and pray that she stays inside her incubator for that time-frame!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...